Monday 11 October 2010

Starting a saga

Has anyone else read these?

I must have heard the Forsyte Saga mentioned a thousand times but have never read it. Not quite sure how such a classic has passed me by, despite years spent doing nothing much else but read novels of a similar era at university. And a friend has just put me to shame by reading the lot, and loving it.

So, having 'borrowed' them from my Mum (my bookshelves are full of books 'borrowed' from Mum!) I got started. Five books in, I can now quite honestly recommend them. There really are some fantastic characters and great plotlines.

While it isn't quite un-put-down-able, it is a lovely one to curl up with, or take on holiday. I'll miss Soames, Jolly, Holly, Fleur, Annette and their houses, pets, cars and businesses when they reach their conclusions.

But it will open a gap for Mma Ramotswe and her many investigations, which have also been borrowed from a friend. She has a lot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment